Wednesday, December 28, 2011

a time to rest, breathe and eat salt?

I can't believe how quickly time has passed over this past month! Craziness! This recent season has been one of different challenges, but the Lord is always up to something amazing and His faithfulness never fails :) What a huge blessing and hope to cling to!

I can't help but think of Him throughout it all and how intricately He intertwines everything in our lives for His divine, mighty purposes. I saw a cardiologist today and, as I'm waiting to have some tests done, the doctor ordered that I take a time of rest from everything, even if just for a few days, that I monitor my breathing and that I eat more salt. Salt?? Yes, salt. Haha, that's right :) Salt by itself can be very dehydrating to the body, but when it gets stored in the kidneys and a person's water intake is high, the kidneys will retain more water in the body (to flush out the built-up salt) so that person actually becomes much more hydrated. Regardless of the medical understanding, I can't help but think about all of this in a spiritual way as well :) It dawned on me this evening that the three things the doctor ordered me to do perfectly capture what the Lord's been speaking to me lately.

He's been calling me to really REST in Him each moment- not do; just rest- something that doesn't always come naturally or easily to me. Resting in Him means knowing Him more, feeling His presence, and spending all of my time with Him. He's been showing me how to truly breathe in His goodness and His light burden. To lean into Him with all of my weight and to lay my doubts, fears, burdens and hurts at His feet- not trying to carry my burdens or the burdens of others on my own, or cling to my worries. Finally, He's been teaching me about being flavorful salt to this incredibly dark world, ready to be persecuted for His name and longing to share Him with others. That's my biggest desire at work and what my prayer has been since starting there. I just want people to see and taste Jesus through my life. And it's amazing to think of how the Lord designed it so that our souls are refreshed, alive and hydrated when we're in His will of being His salt and light in the world (just like how we need salt to keep hydrated- I actually thought the opposite was true until today :)).

It may seem kind of weird to make a connection between what the doc told me and what Jesus has been asking me to do, but I love the creative way that God works! It's almost comical, but amazing how uniquely He reminded me today of three of His desires for me in this season :) A time to rest, breathe and eat/be salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment