Saturday, November 19, 2011

one word

So... here's a tiny bit more about my blog name :) It was inspired by something that the Lord recently spoke to me. I had been searching for answers from Him, especially concerning the direction He has for my life. For several weeks, I began feeling so overwhelmed and clueless as to what His call for my life is and what He wants me to do in this next season. Do you ever suddenly feel that way, as if it's your job to figure out every detail of the rest of your life? Well I sure do! So anyway, one night as I was crying out to Him, pleading that He would speak something to me, He put the one simple word "abide" on my heart. I felt as if He was saying, "Abide, my daughter. Abide." and He lifted the huge weight that had been on my shoulders. Although it was just one word that He spoke to me, it was more profound than a 1000 words could've ever been.

The very next morning I was reading in John chapter 15, where Jesus tells of how He is the vine and we are the branches. As soon as I hit verse 4, my eyes were practically filled with tears. He says, "Abide in me, and I in you". And throughout the rest of the chapter, Jesus continues to talk about what it means to abide in Him and how only then a believer can bear fruit. I was so amazed, humbled and blessed (yet not surprised) that the Lord would want to line up everything at this moment to be able to speak to me. It's a daily battle to keep abiding in Him and clinging to Him with all of my strength, but I am so overjoyed to be on this journey with Jesus! His saving grace in my life completely astounds me because I'm so unworthy, yet He is so holy and blameless.

I love how God-stories work, because they're always perfect! The Lord really used the weeks leading up to that night to bring me to a place of utter brokenness. I was so depleted of my own strength, so frustrated, feeling so lost and directionless. BUT God. Don't you love those two simple words that so often appear in His Word? BUT God knew it all. BUT God had the perfect plan. BUT God intervened. BUT God spoke. BUT God saved. BUT God healed. Although the story I shared above is a very simple example, it points to the power and intimacy of our Savior. He cares so immeasurably about every detail of our lives. And my one desire is to love Him back by learning to abide in Him every second of every day.

2 comments:

  1. Such an awesome reminder. It's a simple example like you said but it's something that takes everyday of our lives to do :). SO encouraging to read tonight bonita! When you said, "Do you ever suddenly feel that way, as if it's your job to figure out every detail of the rest of your life?" oh my gosh I feel this way so often. But right away the Lord reminds me of TRUST. ABIDE. WAIT. SEEK. It's so humbling that He helps us every step of the way without fail :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is! :) I'm so immensely humbled by His patience and love to never leave us and to walk with us through each step! What an amazing Savior! :) It's actually really encouraging to know that I'm not the only one who can feel that way about figuring out my future haha :) Especially since you're a season ahead of me (almost a college grad! Woohoo!! :D) yet still faithfully waiting on Jesus, knowing that He has the perfect plans for you in His timing :) & I absolutely love what you said about the Lord reminding you of those incredibly important and foundational, yet simple, things like trusting Him, abiding, waiting and seeking. I love it!

    ReplyDelete